Sunday, January 20, 2008

All is not well in the hen house!

OOH Dear... it's a worrying time tonight! Rough Red is feelling poorly, she stands in the middle of the yard with her head tucked in under a wing, but she is eating ok and she laid an egg ...she is a worry....and Black Betty hasn't been herself since she ate the red back spider this morning. But if it was going to poison her she would have 'gone' by now...!
I know I have spoilt them, little treats all day keep them following my heels all the time...they love bread so it's not too hard to please them...but when they try and eat my bread coloured gardening gloves (while my hand is still in them)! and never leave me in peace if I have a sit down I think it's time to discipline them and have a designated feed point!!
I was going to isolate Rough Red but other sites have warned about isolating one chook over the others....they will pick on her when I put her back in...and poor thing she gets pecked all the time...not many feathers left now...but I stand there and stop her getting bullied while she eats...

I had some 4+ year old chook manure stored...I put some on the garden. I wonder if it is still too strong because no rain or weather has been on it...oh well will soon find out! :-)

Ran out of tank water to the house last night! now running on the 'emergency supply' seems weird watching Queensland flooding, with life, property and stock loss, while our little part of the world is supposed to be green and lush...but is dry and dusty.
Rain is forcast in about three days so I will go very gently on the water till then and just maybe get out of buying another load.

No comments: